Care Leavers: What support we offer, Kirklees College

At Kirklees College, we recognise that every student’s experience is personal and unique. The Student Experience team tailor your support to your needs so you can enjoy your time at Kirklees College. We have a range of services available and specific support for those who are care experienced. 


Care experienced  

If you are care experienced, the Care Co-ordinator team can support you with: 

  • Financial applications 
  • Careers appointments 
  • Advocacy 
  • Introductions to key staff before you start your HE programme 
  • Referrals to internal and external services 
  • General advice 


Estranged students 

 If you are living without the support of a family, we understand how difficult this can be. We can help support you while you are studying with us. Click here for more information on how to access support. 


Financial support 

Financial worries should not be a barrier to you accessing education. Whether you are applying for grants or loans or need to understand the types of support and funding available, we have a team in place and lots of information available to help answer any questions you may have. Visit here to find out more.


Care leaver bursary 

For students who have left local authority care in the last two years, a phased cash payment of £1,000 can be made during each year of study. Click here to find out more under the ‘Funding Your Studies’ section (pp128-130).       



Our trained, BACP accredited counselling team offer students a safe and relaxing place to speak about any issues they are experiencing. We hold confidential appointments via telephone, Microsoft Teams and face-to-face. To book an appointment, email 


Volunteering opportunities  

KC Community Student Mentors represent and support the wellbeing and interests of students who are care experienced, young parents, young carers and those living without the support of a family (estranged).  

As a mentor, you will help to run and support activities that aim to raise awareness and signpost to support services. You will also work closely with the Students’ Union and curriculum class representatives to gather and amplify Student Voice. To find out more, email 


Virtual tour

To see where you will be studying, take a virtual tour of our Pioneer Higher Skills Centre on the Kirklees College YouTube channel.



Our designated member of staff for care experienced students is Natalie Law, Wellbeing Lead within Student Experience. She can be contacted on or if you want to discuss anything before you start at college or during your time with us.