Differences in language between FE and HE

Navigating the differences in language and terminology between school/FE and HE can be particularly challenging. 

Students at school/college may have been identified as having Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) or Additional Needs. In contrast, students with additional needs who are at HE will be identified as disabled learners. 

School/college students with a disability may have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), which outlines their special educational, health and/or care requirements. This no longer applies when an individual studies at HE (although they can still be useful to share).

Students are often unaware of these differences, which can lead to delays in support being put into place.