Care leavers, what support we offer: Leeds College of Building

Starting a new journey at College is an exciting time for most young people but you may experience lots of worries and anxieties around coming to a new place, meeting new people, and making new friends. Being care experienced could mean you may need additional support and guidance to help make your College experience a positive one. 

Being care experienced means you will have spent time living with foster carers under local authority care, in residential care (e.g. a children’s home), looked after at home under a supervision order, or in kinship care with relatives or friends, either officially (e.g. a special guardianship order) or informally without local authority. 

At Leeds College of Building, we offer: 

  • Dedicated safeguarding officers who are responsible for and have an understanding of the needs of a care-experienced student. 
  • Arranged visits to your chosen campus, which includes a tour of the faculty area and the opportunity to meet key staff members. 
  • Tailored support, as required. We work closely with the Inclusive learning support team to ensure any support needs are met. 
  • Eligible students will receive a bursary to support with costs associated with College. The bursary will cover the cost of breakfast, lunch and travel. This can also be used towards the cost of equipment. 
  • Accessing college services including welfare and financial support, mental health and wellbeing, student enrichment, careers guidance and advice 

If you are a care experienced person and would like more information around the support we can offer please contact us at